I’m not a big fan of lettuce so I like to make salads that use a good mix of other ingredients as an alternative. We made this colourful spring salad for our bank holiday barbecue and it was delicious alongside butterflied lamb and new potatoes.
- 1 large fairly ripe avocado, sliced
- 300g tin of black eye beans
- a couple of handfuls of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 or 4 spring onions, sliced widthways
- 2 sweetcorn cobs, boiled for 10 minutes and kernels cut off in strips
- 100g feta, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 limes, juice and zest
Drain the black eyed beans and pour into a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, spring onions, avocado, corn kernels and feta and mix gently.
Mix together the ingredients for the dressing, then drizzle over the top of the salad.